Thursday, March 11, 2010

Has this happened to you?


OK, went to the thrift store today, about 11:00, walked around and could not find a thing but was very determined. I heard the cart from the back rolling out with new items to put out, so I rushed around the corner and saw it: a mirror that sparkled all over. Ooooooo sparkly is good! I was about 15 feet away, so I sped up, running down the aisle (and not caring that I looked silly), but oh no, an old man who I always see at the thriftstore, who hangs out there all day sitting on the sofas and chatting like the place is a coffee shop, spots the mirror too and jumps up and grabs it just as I arrive. And I now see that the mirror is quite large and has vintage jewelry ALL over it: cluster earrings, clear rhinstone pieces, victorian buttons, tons of frippery goodness. (The mirror I've pictured here (60" by 80") is similar, but the one I found had a lot more rhinestone pieces on it.) I was freaking out, and I am normally a very calm person. So I approached this old man with the sparkling mirror and said, "Oh my goodness. That is stunning, what are you going to do with it? " He said ," I'm going to hang it on my wall, it is so pretty." As I said earlier, I was very determined, so I kept talking to him, being nice so he'd like me and so that I could ask him kindly to give me the mirror, which I did. But he just laughed at me. In the end I could only say to him, " I am so sad, this is sad, I need to go home and tweet this (my iphone was at home charging!), but he just walked away with the mirror, still laughing. I'm hoping that perhaps he was only having a bad day, possibly because his wife passed away recently, and the mirror cheered him up. Thinking this way helps. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Ah man, that is terrible. You should have offered to pay him for it. That's what I would have done if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I would have no problem with bribery!

    ReplyDelete